border force, news, national, home affairs, cpsu, fair labor commission, mike pezzullo

Home Office will be forced to listen to staff concerns when introducing new policies after losing its second battle with the workplace umpire over a ban on sleeveless tops it introduced earlier this year. A Fair Work Commission decision taken in April this year overturned the department’s introduction of three new policies introduced between September 2020 and February 2021. One of the policies determined what employees could wear to work, including when working remotely, while two others introduced rules and guidelines on social media on how staff can safely interact with children passing through customs and the immigration system. But in another blow to the main department, which employs office workers as well as border force officials, the commission ruled out its attempt to overturn the decision this week. “We are not persuaded that granting leave to appeal would be in the public interest, or that leave is otherwise warranted on discretionary grounds,” the committee said Thursday. He rejected arguments put forward by the ministry that the commission’s decision in April would have adverse consequences for future policies it is expected to introduce. Union national secretary Melissa Donnelly said members welcomed the workplace arbitrator’s decision to reject what she called a clearly “gender” policy. “The policies that brought this case to the FWC initially included the formulation of new uniform rules that had clear gender implications and targeted women, and more serious policies like working with children in detention,” Ms. Donnelly said. . “It is disappointing that the Home Office cannot see the strength and experience that its workforce could bring to policies and standards through consultation.” CPSU members are at the forefront of the fight every day. immigration, borders and national security, their experience can only strengthen policies The decision means that the department will now have to consult on the future policies it plans to introduce as well as begin a retrospective consultation on the policies introduced before the April decision. It is understood that the union has been in talks with Home Affairs officials at the controversial workplace. The dress policy to address members’ concerns about suitability. A decision has not yet been finalized. A spokesperson for Home Affairs said the appeal decision helped him clarify the decision to April and its implications for the workplace agreement of its employees and is committed to ensuring that they all have the opportunity to be meaningfully consulted on issues affecting their employment, ”said a spokesperson . “This ruling and explanation provided by the FWC on July 22 helps us undertake the appropriate consultations.” READ MORE: The Community and Public Sector Union said the ministry had not given staff a minimum of two weeks to comment on policies, procedures and guidelines or propose changes to existing ones prior to their introduction. The ministry told the commission that there were “practical difficulties” in talking to staff and the union whenever they plan to introduce or change a policy. The workplace dress code, introduced in February a few months after the union began talks with Home Affairs, updated the department’s dress and appearance standards, requiring staff to adhere to additional hygiene requirements and to maintain a “neat and tidy appearance”. It also prohibited staff from wearing sleeveless tops, dresses and blouses, considered inappropriate clothing, both in the office and while working from home. Our reporters work hard to provide local and up-to-date news to the community. Here’s how you can continue to access our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/106459643/e481f045-a43c-4c71-811e-1a30d5e51810.jpg/r14_461_4403_2941_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SUBSCRIBER


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.